A Pair: Work-In-Progress

I did something extremely stupid when I was working on these journals a few days ago.

I’d sewn both text blocks, made the covers and pressed them all under weight, and all I had left to do was attach the covers to the block with coptic binding. I started on the green journal with a two-needle technique, & no matter how hard I tried, I just could not keep the covers tight! Argh! So I decided to literally cut my losses and pulled out my craft knife to cut out the coptic stitching. And my hand slipped. And I cut the link stitching on the text block. ARGH! (It’s a good thing the studio is a detached building because I cursed at the top of my lungs for a solid minute.) What an IDIOT!

So… I finished the grey journal yesterday, and I got the text block resewn on the other one this evening. (I used a link sewing technique I learned from Molly Brooks’s exposed tape binding tutorial. I have ambitions to make an exposed tape bound book soon, but here I just wanted something a bit decorative to show off the new thread I bought this week.) The finished journal is covered in ordinary bookcloth, but the second, unfinished one is covered in real Irish linen, left over from a dress I made last year. It’s turned out pretty well! Here are a couple more photos: 

The endsheet was inkjet printed at home – easy peasy.

The finished stitching, up close & personal.

My very own homemade Nipping press. Eh… sort of.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s